"A Dream Come True"
About 3 years ago, I sat Bill down and had one of those conversations that you know is either going to go extremely well or completely bad. See I like change, but Bill, not so much. And to be honest, I knew from the depths of my soul that my path was changing and my inner dialog was so loud that I had to listen to the direction it was leading me. However, I was so afraid that if I spoke the words out loud and it was not a journey that perhaps Bill was ready to take with me that I might be crushed.
So I began talking, and talking, and talking. After about 20 minutes of patiently listening to my staggeringly rapid fire succession of ideas, thoughts, ambitions, desires and dreams for our future, Bill took my hand and said, “I am so on board with this. Let’s make this happen!”
Perhaps the best words he has ever said to me!
The past 3 years have been filled with lots of twists and turns to say the least. In that time we have made offers on amazing potential retreat houses that we didn’t get (and of course I thought our dream was crushed each time). We've searched commercial land, residential land, scouted properties and even gotten to the point of preliminary architectural drawings of what our dream studio could look like. i think in the end, we knew that this was the universes' way of telling us to keep looking.
During this time i was forced to do some serious soul searching. I began questioning if i was i looking in the right places both physically and emotionally for the right things? How could i better serve the person and the artist i am along with community of artists i truly wanted to be among?
As the answers to the questions i was asking started to become clearer so did our plans for the future.
With this new truth and shared intention we spent the last 6 month searching for our new sanctuary where Artist, Art and Empowerment thrived NOT just for others, but for us as well.
Not gonna lie, I have been holding my breath for months and keeping this secret has been brutal, but yesterday at 1PM we became the new owners of this incredible slice of heaven.
I introduce you to the NEW Donna Downey Studios!!!
I almost feel like there is too much and not enough to share, but i will do my best because i know you are just as excited as we are and will have lots of questions!
- We officially move in Jan 3, 2018.
- Our Studio will no longer be based in Huntersville and will have a new home here in Lincolnton, NC. Lincolnton, it is about 10 min longer to get to from the CLT airport than the studio in Huntersville, just in a different direction.
- My Goal is to be ready to host my first workshop/retreat Beginner Oil Painting on Jan 12-13, 2018.
- The house is a whopping 7000 square feet of happy and sits on 23 wooded acres (all ours!)...and with all the windows it feels like you are in a mountain retreat from the moment you walk in!
- The only photos i have to share are from the sellers listing. I have not gotten to make my mark on the interior, but will be going for an Artist's Farmhouse feel (my own version of farmhouse decor). The beautiful raw wood will stay untouched, but all of the dark paint colors will be painted white.
- This is the master bedroom shown in the photo above. It is enormous! But even more impressive is the bathroom, it looks like a guest house!! (photo below)
- As you walk out of the back of the home there is the most incredible pool, sitting areas, pool house, pool bar equipped with TV, speakers, full kitchen, poured concrete counters and fire pit.
(this is a little video clip from the first time Liz (our Studio Manager), our real estate agent and I saw the property lit up at night...it was magical!)
My heart is so full, it feels like a dream! I cannot wait to share this space with you and invite you into this new chapter in our lives. We will be jumping in with both feet getting this new space ready to share with you. I know all the beautiful people I have met through the years, the prayers, the encouragement and the support have brought Bill and I to this very special place. I hope to fill these walls with art, creativity, laughter, joy, inspiration, friendships and shared experiences that empower all those who enter to follow their passions.
I know for certain no one person attains any goal without the love and sacrifices of those around them. My family, my friends, all the kind words, every beautiful student artwork created and shared with me, has brought us to this point. Thank you, a thousand thank yous and i only hope that in return we create a place that reflects how much love and adoration we have for each and every one of you that have shared this journey with us.
Get Exclusive Videos, Tutorials, and other Goodies delivered to your inbox
Donna Downey is a New Jersey native now living and working out of her studio in Huntersville, NC. As a painter, bestselling author, instructor and all-around creative force, she is a born experimenter, blending and transforming both traditional and unexpected elements into meaningful pieces of self-expression. A former elementary school teacher, she has synthesized her love of teaching with her passion for art and brings this to women via workshops and events around the world. Donna is consistently on the leading edge of taking risks that push the creative envelope and empowering others to do the same with their art. Her work can be found in private and public collections around the world.